Broadway

Broadway
A girl's gotta dream.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Photograph 2001

This is me when I was three
smiling at my mother 
as I tried on the tiara and veil
for her upcoming wedding
and my role as flower girl.

This is my curly brown hair
tugged back to expose
my chubby three-year-old cheeks
dark blue eyes cast in shadows 
in the house my grandparents lived
those fourteen years ago. 

Dark blue overalls that 
I didn't bother wearing 
a shirt under because
who would criticized a three year old
on their clothing choices?

This is before the wedding
before the miscarriages 
and heart ache from 
dead beat dads
before I felt a fathers love
before I grew up too soon
and before I realized how screwed 
our entire world was.

This was before the other shoe dropped.  

 

1 comment:

  1. That last line is a gut kicker...You've done such a powerful job of juxtaposing the innocence before and the (undesired) knowledge of after. Your "chubby three-year-old cheeks" are just precious.

    ReplyDelete