Broadway

Broadway
A girl's gotta dream.

Monday, October 20, 2014

If The Music Is Too Loud, You're Too Old.


Without music my life would tragically dull, and so not worth it. Yes, I’m one of those teenagers that believes music is my life. Sue me. When words fail, music is always there. When I’m super ticked at my parents I’ll plug in my headphones and blare The Killers. It’s quite effective. Music can actually tell you more about a person then they ever could. When you listen to a song, it’s more than just notes strung together. The words that accompany the notes are so symbolic, and have so many different ways to interpret them. I think it’s beautiful. Music can sometimes be poetry. The one line that I always think of when it comes to poetry and music is from Rent (yes, it’s a Broadway musical). Why are entire years strewn/On the cutting room floor of memories?/When single frames from one magic night/Forever flicker in close-up on the 3-D Imax of my mind/That's poetic, that's pathetic. Mark may be just a smidge sarcastic, but hey, one of his friends just died. Other than that, there are a crap ton of Adele songs that sound pretty poetic to me. Mainly Make You Feel My Love on her 19 album. I feel like my taste of music has changed for the better. In middle school, I was one of those people who listened to 3OH!3, P!NK, Ke$ha, and Neon Trees. Yes, I was one of those kids. Now, I’ve strayed away from ‘pop’ artist, but my taste still varies. I bounce between Adele (Make You Feel My Love), The Killers, David Nail, various Broadway artists, American Authors… Okay, so if I keep listing artists we’re going to be here for a very long time. I really like the slower, jazzy songs like Etta James At Last. I’m kinda old school. Does music have the power to heal? Well… Man, what a loaded question. Obviously it doesn’t physically heal, but emotionally? Potentially.I’m not generally a person who shares things about themselves. Let’s just say that I’ve been in a bad place multiple times before (who hasn’t?). There really wasn’t much that could snap me out of my funk, but music surely could. If you close your eyes and listen to a slow song (I recommend Make You Feel My Love, At Last, or Birdy’s Skinny Love) you can focus on something else. You can listen to Etta James’ voice to heal you, or Adele’s to lull you to sleep. It takes time- healing of any kind does- but you’ll get there.Eventually.  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome title! Adele's Make You Feel My Love is "our song" for my son and me. Did you know it's actually Garth Brooks' song from the 90s? I think it was on the soundtrack for the movie Hope Floats. My favorite song of Adele's is actually Hometown Glory. My son and I sing it with abandon in my car...

    ReplyDelete