Broadway

Broadway
A girl's gotta dream.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Famous First and Last Lines

Once upon a time, there was a woman who discovered she had turned into the wrong person.

That is the opening line to Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grownups, a book she wrote in memory of her late husband, and published on May 1, 2001. The entire story revolves around your true self. Do you end up with your true self, or is it possible to leave your real, true self behind? 

The book certainly sounds interesting. Being able to learn about your real, rue self is definitely
intriguing. If I had time- and the book- I would certainly read it.

After a while I went out and left the hospital and walked back to the hotel in the rain.

That is the last line in Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms, published in 1929, and set during the Italian campaign of World War I. It's about a young American ambulance driver- Lieutenant Frederic Henry- serving in Italy during the war. 

The book looks like it's beautifully written- plus, it's Ernest Hemingway. I've always liked history, and learning about how different countries were affected, not just America's problems. I would be thrilled to read it if I had time- and the book, of course.  

 

1 comment:

  1. You might like the book The Paris Wife...it's a fictional but historically inspired story about Hemingway's first marriage told from his wife Hadley's point of view. I think I might want to check out Anne Tyler's book...

    ReplyDelete