Broadway

Broadway
A girl's gotta dream.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Writers as Readers

I like to think that I write like Rick Riordan.
Yes, Rick Riordan. The man who battles himself, writes books for middle school children, and makes everyone wait a year for another book after a major cliff hanger. He is probably my favorite writer- The Lightning Thief was the book that made me into the avid reader that I am today. I like to imagine that I write like him, and that my stories are half as good as his. 



So, when I finished reading The Fault in Our Stars it was safe to say I was heartbroken. That story was so bittersweet, and the movie was the same. Are you looking for a good cry over some fictional character, and have your life ruined because Augustus Waters isn't a real person? Then read TFiOS. It was heart wrenching, but so unbelievably beautiful.


Honestly, I hate it when people find ways to nitpick everything. If Harry Potter turns people to occults, then does that mean Wizard of Oz will lead to someone crushing someone with a house, the attempted murder over a pair of shoes, and the murder of someone perceived as evil simply because they think they can go home if they kill said 'evil' doer? Nope. "We've all got both light and dark inside of us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." That was written by J.K. Rowling, and I think it'll answer your question very well. 


I think reading is very important to the writing process. The more you read, the more you become accustomed to how a story should flow. You can learn different ways to describe something, different point of views and how to make them sound right when you write. I really hope I can apply all of that to my writing- I think I've improved my writing by reading a lot this past year.   
 

1 comment:

  1. I love, love that quote from Rowling. Such truth. And I love your Wizard of Oz example. I also found The Fault in Our Stars to be heart-wrenching and beautiful...I read the entire book in one day laying on a big canopy bed on the beach in Mexico. I looked up and it was almost dark, the beach was empty, and it was just me, the ocean, the great big sky, and all those lovely words swirling in my mind. I will never forget that.

    ReplyDelete